RICOCHET INFINITY

For all things Ricochet...
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:59 am 

OK, folks, I thought I was REALLY late to the party, but I see many recent posts so maybe I'm just fashionably late. I just discovered the Ricochet games about 6 months ago, and have become a slave to collecting rings. I will collect 100,000 or die trying. Anyway, therein lies my angst. The autoplay mode, although like going behind the teacher's back and breaking the rules of fair play, is a convenient tool for collecting rings. And there are many great autoplay levels out there. However, there are just as many levels that claim to be autoplay that I look at and just shake my head in disbelief. I'm a newbie, and how DARE I try to tell you wonderful level set creators your business, but in my book autoplay is as follows: Release ball, take finger off mouse pad, wait 30 seconds and collect 5 rings. Anything else is NOT autoplay. Perhaps a class on creating legitimate autoplay levels is needed at this forum. I apologize for my insolence, but the truth HURTS sometime. That's all I have to say for now. Everyone keep up the good work otherwise. Toktok, eagerly awaiting your next game. For our foreign friends, translations of this post can be made available in Dutch, Aramaic and Sanskrit. Ciao! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:09 pm 

droogy59 wrote:
OK, folks, I thought I was REALLY late to the party, but I see many recent posts so maybe I'm just fashionably late. I just discovered the Ricochet games about 6 months ago, and have become a slave to collecting rings. I will collect 100,000 or die trying. Anyway, therein lies my angst. The autoplay mode, although like going behind the teacher's back and breaking the rules of fair play, is a convenient tool for collecting rings. And there are many great autoplay levels out there. However, there are just as many levels that claim to be autoplay that I look at and just shake my head in disbelief. I'm a newbie, and how DARE I try to tell you wonderful level set creators your business, but in my book autoplay is as follows: Release ball, take finger off mouse pad, wait 30 seconds and collect 5 rings. Anything else is NOT autoplay. Perhaps a class on creating legitimate autoplay levels is needed at this forum. I apologize for my insolence, but the truth HURTS sometime. That's all I have to say for now. Everyone keep up the good work otherwise. Toktok, eagerly awaiting your next game. For our foreign friends, translations of this post can be made available in Dutch, Aramaic and Sanskrit. Ciao! :mrgreen:

You are right, sometimes "autoplay" is not strictly so, according to your definition, but often just "to a great extent autoplay". Thanks for commenting.

151,000+ rings (reached 151,000 on October 12, 2017)
Rank: Ultimate Legendary, Supreme Master of Infinity (reached at 100,000)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:51 am 

I consider autoplay any level that can simply finish itself 100% (so with all 5 rings that is, as well as all the bricks being destroyed) without any player interaction except releasing the ball, independent of the time.

RicoSet X - secret :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 am 

Exactly! "AUTO" (for automatic) Play!! No need to interact with the movement of the ball other than to release it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 am 

But would you consider it Autoplay if you could shorten the time in any way by using e.g. Recall?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 am 

I would say no, because it is no longer an "automatic" completion if you have to alter the path of the ball to complete the level.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:04 pm 

droogy59 wrote:
I would say no, because it is no longer an "automatic" completion if you have to alter the path of the ball to complete the level.

That's not what I meant. The question was if you only shorten the time by using Recall - the level would finish anyway without Recall - but take longer time - would it still be "autoplay"?
The same question could be raised as to PUs - if you pick up certain PUs and thereby shorten the time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:41 pm 

There are a lot of different definitions on what autoplay means. Beings how anyone can tag a game, any way they want, autoplay is subject to any ones personal opinion.
I've seen autoplay on levels that just have a bottom bumper so you don't loose your sphere.
I've seen autoplay on levels that have only one round of autoplay.
I've seen autoplay on rounds that you don't even have to let your sphere go. It just lets go and plays itself out.
I like a good autoplay, that's done artfully. It's like a really good domino toppling.
I went for all the autoplays first, to get my ring count up (345,000 now), but when you run out of them, I recommend Big Mama's no brainers. Also C C Forbes has fun easy games, and Blake has good games, although no autoplay, they are fun and well designed.
Good luck and have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm 

gee wrote:
There are a lot of different definitions on what autoplay means. Beings how anyone can tag a game, any way they want, autoplay is subject to any ones personal opinion.
I've seen autoplay on levels that just have a bottom bumper so you don't loose your sphere.
I've seen autoplay on levels that have only one round of autoplay.
I've seen autoplay on rounds that you don't even have to let your sphere go. It just lets go and plays itself out.
I like a good autoplay, that's done artfully. It's like a really good domino toppling.
I went for all the autoplays first, to get my ring count up (345,000 now), but when you run out of them, I recommend Big Mama's no brainers. Also C C Forbes has fun easy games, and Blake has good games, although no autoplay, they are fun and well designed.
Good luck and have fun.

Good points.
And you can play Autoplay sets in Insane mode if you want rings fast. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:03 am 

On second thoughts, perhaps it is not an advantage to play Autoplay on Insane level. What is your experience?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:45 pm 

When I got Ricochet I set it to medium and never changed it, even after all these years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:06 pm 

gee wrote:
When I got Ricochet I set it to medium and never changed it, even after all these years.

Thanks for the reply. I have had the same experience but only recently saw an (Autoplay) set where the author recommended playing it on Insane. But now - seeing the properties of Insane, I have reverted to Medium, also for Autoplay.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 pm 

Who cares? Autoplay isn't a central part of the game. Some sets should only ever have like 1 autoplay level or something, to spice it up a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:53 pm 

Tocaraca wrote:
Who cares? Autoplay isn't a central part of the game. Some sets should only ever have like 1 autoplay level or something, to spice it up a bit.

Well, I'd say that one of the main selling points of RI is the flexibility of the editor. Besides, the more forum topics and levels the better, considering how dead the game is nowadays

RicoSet X - secret :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 pm 

True lol