RICOCHET INFINITY

For all things Ricochet...
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:36 pm 
Ghost Buster
Ghost Buster

If one of these questions fits your needs, please read on for solutions…

“I purchased a new computer. Can I transfer my rings and levels I’ve played to the new computer?”
“I’ve lost my rings! Can I get them back?”
“Can I backup a file to save the ring count or which levels I’ve completed?
“Can I combine two stats.dat files?”

Infinity has a “stats.dat” file that saves information like: ratings and tags the player assigns to levelsets, rings collected, levels/levelsets played, scores on levelsets played, rank, trophies achieved... If something happens to this file, you will have to start all over. The file could be corrupted/affected if your computer gets a virus, crashes, or has to be reformatted. For this reason, it is best to save the “stats.dat” file periodically to a place that you feel comfortably safe with. You could e-mail it to a web mail account, burn it on a CD or save it on a USB thumb drive. It is NOT suggested you save this file to another place on your hard drive since a virus could affect both areas.

Using a friend’s stats.dat file to avoid having to replay the game is not a good idea because it would cause you and your friend to share the same “account” on the server. This means that any games already played would have your friend’s saved data (levelsets played, ratings, ring count). So instead of two rating submissions for a levelset, there would only be one.

If you have two computers and want to combine the progress, it cannot be done. If you copy one onto the other, it will overwrite the information instead of combine it.

Backup the Stats.dat File

The “Stats.dat” file is located on the computer’s hard drive, but varies depending on how you purchased the game. If you purchased it directly from Reflexive, look in “C:\Program Files\Ricochet Infinity”. If you purchased it through BigFish, Yahoo, Real Arcade, or some other game site, then look for “C:\Program Files\Game Site Name\Ricochet Infinity”. The Game Site Name would be the place you purchased the game from.

Another way to find your stats file is to follow the link in the icon you normally use to start the game. You probably have a shortcut to Ricochet Infinity on your desktop or in your start menu. RIGHT click on that icon, select properties, and then click on the "find target" button. This will open the folder that Ricochet Infinity is installed in. In that folder you will find the stats file you want to backup.

If you’ve done this, but still can’t find the “Stats.dat” file, try using the computer’s search function for the file. Also, make sure that your computer shows the extensions (.xxx).

Once you’ve located the “Stats.dat” file, simply highlight the file and copy it to whatever device you are using to back it up. You can also attach the “Stats.dat” file in an email to yourself. This is probably the most favored way of backing up the file.

Using the Backup Stats.dat File

If you’ve purchased a new computer and want to use the stored “Stats.dat” file, simply copy the stored file over the new file. All your saved progress will then be ready to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:50 am 
Ghost Buster
Ghost Buster

Since there have been several questions asked regarding the stats.dat file and saving progress and ring counts, this topic has been added to help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:29 am 

Thanks Big Mama. It will be good to have all this info in one place.
I just learned that the stats.dat file is not always called that on every computer.
On mine it just says stats.
I was very confused for awhile there. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:36 am 

the stats.dat file is ALL i need to transfer my info from one computer to another? None of the other .dat files are needed at all, including the one with the BIG file size, the 'data.dat' file is not needed at all?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:46 am 
Ghost Buster
Ghost Buster

That's correct Lady Killer. The stats.dat is all you need to keep your progress saved. :wink: If you've been saving that other file too, you don't have to anymore. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:33 am 

Thanks, again, Big Mama. I appreciate the feedback.

Post subject: gold rings back
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 am 

Is there away that I can get my 1000,000 plus gold rings back? I had to get a new computer, because the one I had blew up. I had to re-install Infinity and of course I lost all my gold rings. I notice on the stats.dat file, that the icon has changed, as it has a picture of Rico on on it. When I clicked on this file, it doesn't bring up my gold rings, but the game, telling me that I have so many minutes left to play. This picture is also on my data2 and level set file. I don't know why the file icon changed. Is there away I can get the original stat.dat file back, or do I have to uninstall the game and re-install it again. I lost all my rings, so I guess it wouldn't matter all that much. If there was a way to put the stats.dat file on this forum I would dio it, so you can see what I am talking about, although there is a picture on the left hand side of this forum. I wrorte to James about this, and he told me that I needed to go to the forum to get help. I hope you can understan what I am talking about. I am 69 years old, and it's hard for me to explain things....Thanks

Post subject: Re: gold rings back
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 am 
Ghost Buster
Ghost Buster

First, don't try to open the stats.dat file. Second, I assume you have your previous stats.dat file? If so, then you can follow the instructions at in this topic to get your rings back: Progress & Ring Counts: Backup & Transfer (stats.dat file)

The instructions for finding where the stats.dat file are under the heading, "Backup the Stats.dat File". Then use the topic, "Using the Backup Stats.dat File" to get your saved file into the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:05 am 

BigMama wrote:
First, don't try to open the stats.dat file. Second, I assume you have your previous stats.dat file? If so, then you can follow the instructions at in this topic to get your rings back: Progress & Ring Counts: Backup & Transfer (stats.dat file)

The instructions for finding where the stats.dat file are under the heading, "Backup the Stats.dat File". Then use the topic, "Using the Backup Stats.dat File" to get your saved file into the game.

Thanks Big Mama. The stats.dat file I have, has a picture of Rico on it, and when I click on this file, it opens the Infinity game, telling me how many minites I have left to play. I wished there was a way of putting the stats.dat file on this forum, so you can see what I am talking about. The above information doen't seem to work. Is there any way I can get my previous stat.dat file back? Would installing the game again help. If not, I'm not going to worry, although I won't be able to save my gold rings using the dat file.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:01 am 
Ghost Buster
Ghost Buster

It sounds to me happysis that you have saved the wrong file.

The picture you are talking about, is it the same as the shortcut on your desktop?

It sounds like you are clicking on the exe file (A picture of Rico standing behind the red letter R). That is the only file I have that has a picture there and it says "RicochetInfinity" next to it and nothing else.

The file you should be replacing should look something like the attached:

Attachments:
Stats..jpg
Stats..jpg [ 2.18 KiB | Viewed 40083 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:44 pm 

Happysis it sounds like you need to get a new registration code.
It has been a long time since I have seen that screen so I can';t remember exactly what it says.
You need to click on the 'ALREADY PAID' button and follow those instructions.
Then you will have the game installed. (That screen will go away) It sounds like you are playing the trial version.
Your old registration number could have run out.
They will e-mail you a new one.
Once you do that we can help you get your stats.dat file back in there, assuming you saved it somewhere other than your new computer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:19 pm 
unless there's a way to get the stats.dat file off your old computer the answer is no.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:33 pm 

Alf wrote:
It sounds to me happysis that you have saved the wrong file.

The picture you are talking about, is it the same as the shortcut on your desktop?

It sounds like you are clicking on the exe file (A picture of Rico standing behind the red letter R). That is the only file I have that has a picture there and it says "RicochetInfinity" next to it and nothing else.

The file you should be replacing should look something like the attached:

I wasn't clicking on the on the exe file. I don't know how the stat.dat filed changed. I tried downloading the game again, but it didn't help. So I lost 100.000 plus rings. I will get them all back in time..if I live that long. Is there away you can send me the stats.dat file, then I could copy and paste it, in the Infinity folder..Thanks Alf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 pm 

Plum Crazy wrote:
Happysis it sounds like you need to get a new registration code.
It has been a long time since I have seen that screen so I can';t remember exactly what it says.
You need to click on the 'ALREADY PAID' button and follow those instructions.
Then you will have the game installed. (That screen will go away) It sounds like you are playing the trial version.
Your old registration number could have run out.
They will e-mail you a new one.
Once you do that we can help you get your stats.dat file back in there, assuming you saved it somewhere other than your new computer.

I don't have a registrationcode since I didn't buy the game from Reflexive Arcade. The game was bouught from Real Arcade, and I got the game free. I'm able to download the game which I have done, but it didn't help. I guess I could uninstall the game and reinstall it, but I'm afraid that wouldn't work. I have no idea how the stats.dat file changes. I didn't think files could change. I guess I was wrong...Thanks foer your help anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:16 pm 
if the hard drive from your old computer didn't crash your stats.dat file can be copied from there to your new computer. the hard drive from your old computer will need to be installed into a working computer and stats.dat copied to a flash drive, floppy disc or cd then copied to your new computer into the appropriate place. in fact even if the hard drive crashed there's still a chance to recover the file. i have a few tricks and some very powerful software to save files from bad hard drives, i've done it several times, not always but my success ratio is above 60%. it you are willing to try i'm willing to help. i know your pain. [-o<

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next