RICOCHET INFINITY

For all things Ricochet...
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:20 pm 

Normally, when you create a round set, it goes into the C:\Program Files\Ricochet Infinity\Rounds folder. However, sometimes, it doesn't appear in there, and instead gets stored in:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Ricochet Infinity\Rounds
If your level set doesn't appear in your Rounds folder where you thought it would, now you know where it is.
This is also the case in Ricochet Lost Worlds, and additionally, if you create a custom power-up then it will also appear in the VirtualStore (VirtualStore\Program Files\Ricochet Lost Worlds\Data\Power Ups).
I'm not sure why this happens, but it does, and Ricochet recognises both locations. If you put a downloaded level set into the VirtualStore program folder then Ricochet will know it is there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:22 pm 

It's probably because of the security features of the newer Windows OSs. To store data in the Program Files folder requires a admin account and a approval of a UAC check(so your PC won't get overrun by demons, Doom reference) to run the program as administrator (even if you are an admin account, Windows by default doesn't run programs with admin privileges). Instead, data from programs gets written into a user-specific folder. That's for preventing viruses from modifying important files.

RicoSet X - secret :D

Last edited by Nikola Pekovic on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 pm 

Nikola Pekovic wrote:
It's probaly because of the security features of the newer Windows OSs. To store data in the Program Files folder requires a admin account and a approval of a UAC check(so your PC won't get overrun by demons, Doom reference) to run the program as administrator (even if you are an admin account, Windows usually doesn't run programs with admin privilegies). Instead, data from programs gets written into a user-specific folder.

This makes perfect sense, I get it all now! Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:40 pm 

About the RI reading data from both directories, I think it was programmed only to read from the Rounds directory, and windows tricks all programs that write into the Program Files/Program Files (x86) that the VirtualStore is the same as the rounds folder (therefore the word Virtual - kind of like the term virtual machine).

Last edited by Nikola Pekovic on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 pm 

Nikola Pekovic wrote:
About the RI reading data from both directories, I think it was programmed only to read from the Rounds directory, and windows tricks all programs that write into the Program Files/x86 that the VirtualStore is the same as the rounds folder (therefore the word Virtual - kind of like the term virtual machine).

This all makes a lot more sense than I thought of it before, because I've found windows does this with other programs too, such as Age of Empires II (scenarios sometimes get put into virtualstore).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:00 am 

Tocaraca wrote:
Nikola Pekovic wrote:
About the RI reading data from both directories, I think it was programmed only to read from the Rounds directory, and windows tricks all programs that write into the Program Files/x86 that the VirtualStore is the same as the rounds folder (therefore the word Virtual - kind of like the term virtual machine).

This all makes a lot more sense than I thought of it before, because I've found windows does this with other programs too, such as Age of Empires II (scenarios sometimes get put into virtualstore).

BTW, I've never had to go to the VirtualStore folder, for me everything is stored in the program folder. It most likely happens on standard non-admin accounts with UAC turned on (and I always use an admin account with UAC off) - and I guess that the hassle of looking for the game's files in the AppData folder is better than having to go through an UAC prompt every time whatever game/program you're playing/running tries to write to the folder where it's installed :lol:
Granted, though, I'm pretty sure the last time I looked for the scenarios folder of Age of Empires 2 was back on our old Pentium 4 WinXP family computer :P . Now I own the Steam HD edition with all thee expansions 8) and Steam's syncing saves a lot of time otherwise spent on transfering saves, scenarios, etc. What version of AoE2 (HD or retail one) did Windows do that with scenarios for you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:56 pm 

Nikola Pekovic wrote:
Tocaraca wrote:
Nikola Pekovic wrote:

BTW, I've never had to go to the VirtualStore folder, for me everything is stored in the program folder. It most likely happens on standard non-admin accounts with UAC turned on (and I always use an admin account with UAC off) - and I guess that the hassle of looking for the game's files in the AppData folder is better than having to go through an UAC prompt every time whatever game/program you're playing/running tries to write to the folder where it's installed :lol:
Granted, though, I'm pretty sure the last time I looked for the scenarios folder of Age of Empires 2 was back on our old Pentium 4 WinXP family computer :P . Now I own the Steam HD edition with all thee expansions 8) and Steam's syncing saves a lot of time otherwise spent on transfering saves, scenarios, etc. What version of AoE2 (HD or retail one) did Windows do that with scenarios for you?

I don't play that Steam HD ripoff, I still have the original and I got UserPatch 1.4 and play online with Voobly, and I don't need the disk. The UserPatch comes with lots of new stuff which is also found in HD, however it doesn't have African Kingdoms yet (but it has The Forgotten).
I'm pretty obsessed with AoE2.