RICOCHET INFINITY

For all things Ricochet...
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: voting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:37 am 

In the games of RLW, I noticed that when I checked the comments, that other players have made, that the circle is blank, where I have voted, and I can't vote again. I have played hundreds of games, and the games that I played, I voted on, but the circle is blank, but there are a few games where the circle is marked. I don't care if my voting isn't marked, I am just curious why it doesn't show up? I have been playing the RLW games in INFINITY. I deleted RLW after INFINITY came out.

Post subject: Re: voting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:52 pm 
Ricochet Developer
Ricochet Developer

Votes you cast a long time ago will look like that (blank circle) but more recent votes will show how you voted.

What you are noticing is a limitation of the older version of the phpBB forum software. In the past, the website did not keep track of who voted for what. Every vote was counted, but the web site just kept a running total of the number of votes received for each option and not a record of how each person voted. So in the past, you could not see how you voted or change your vote. A few months ago we installed a newer version of phpBB. This new version does record how each person voted and lets users view and change their vote. So votes you cast since we installed the new version will show how you voted. But votes you cast a while ago, before we installed the new phpBB, will just show empty circles.

The system does know which poles you already voted in even for those older poles with empty circles. If you have already voted in a pole the results from all users will be shown to the right of the pole options (how many people voted for each option). If you have not voted yet, the results will not be shown but there will be a "show results" option at the bottom of the pole.

In other words, don't relay on looking at the circles to see if they are empty or filled in to know if you have voted. Look to the right and see if you are seeing results or not. Results mean you already voted even if all the circles are empty.

Post subject: Re: voting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:23 pm 

James C. Smith wrote:
Votes you cast a long time ago will look like that (blank circle) but more recent votes will show how you voted.

What you are noticing is a limitation of the older version of the phpBB forum software. In the past, the website did not keep track of who voted for what. Every vote was counted, but the web site just kept a running total of the number of votes received for each option and not a record of how each person voted. So in the past, you could not see how you voted or change your vote. A few months ago we installed a newer version of phpBB. This new version does record how each person voted and lets users view and change their vote. So votes you cast since we installed the new version will show how you voted. But votes you cast a while ago, before we installed the new phpBB, will just show empty circles.

The system does know which poles you already voted in even for those older poles with empty circles. If you have already voted in a pole the results from all users will be shown to the right of the pole options (how many people voted for each option). If you have not voted yet, the results will not be shown but there will be a "show results" option at the bottom of the pole.

In other words, don't relay on looking at the circles to see if they are empty or filled in to know if you have voted. Look to the right and see if you are seeing results or not. Results mean you already voted even if all the circles are empty.

Thanks James..This information was very helpful.. =D>