RICOCHET INFINITY

For all things Ricochet...
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:03 pm 
Ricochet Developer
Ricochet Developer

New user created roundsets are not released to the public until they have been play tested by volunteer testers. New roundsets are put into the pre-release testing group as soon as they are submitted. They are released to the public after they have been approved by the testers. A special area of the forum is set aside for discussing problems in levels being tested. By default, this area is not accessible to everyone. This helps reduce the amount of noise and clutter in the forum. The general area of the forum is used to discus Ricochet Lost Words itself, and the user created roundsets which have been tested and released to the public. All the talk about imposable levels, crashing, and other problems with new roundsets is contained within the "User Made Levels Pre-release Testing" section of the forum. This section is not visible unless you are a member of the "Usergroup" named "Testers". Anyone and everyone is welcome to join the Testers usergroup. This is not meant to be a secure and privileged section of the forum. It is just hidden be default so that causal players can enjoy the game and not be bothered with roundsets which do not work and all the discussion about them.

To join the Testers usergroup you must fist be a registered member of the forum and be logged in. Next click on the "Usergroups" link near the top right corner of any forum web page. The Join a Group page should appear. Make sure "Testers" is select in the pull down list of usergroups and press the "View Information" button. The Group Information page will appear. Press the "Join Group" button. Unfortunately, you will not get immediate access to the group. Your request to join the group will have to be approved by a moderator. All requests will be approved. This is just part of how the forum management software works. It may take a day or so (but probably much less) before your Tester group membership is activated. At that point the "RLW: User Made Levels Pre-release Testing" category will appear on the main forum page just under "RLW: Level Editor Questions and Problems"

Anyone can download the pre-release roundsets without even joining the Tester usergroup. You just need to use this link. Look for sets with the word prerelease next to their name. Just don't be surprised if they don't work. And don't post comments about them in the general areas of the forum.

Thank you in advance to anyone who will help us test the new roundsets. And thank you to all the level designers who create them for us. Together we can make the Ricochet Lost Worlds community a fun place to be.

Last edited by James C. Smith on Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:29 am 

I think this is a WONDERFUL idea. :D I had noticed that a lot of the forum chat in this category was about sets that weren't working properly and people did seem to get testy about it from time to time.

In thinking about this though, I would say that perhaps you should not let just anyone be a tester. Rather, choose those people who have provided insight and help in the past and especially those who have designed popular and well-crafted levels.

That way, you will get informed commentary about the pre-release levels and those of us who don't design, but just play, can enjoy them once the "professionals" have sorted out the snags.

I'm not sure if this is possible but it's just MHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:13 am 
I still like the idea of a release group every Friday as long as the craze lasts ! So much fun to get a whole passle of rainbow colored Lost Worlds to play in !

Ding Ding, Ms Holly Belle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:34 am 
Ricochet Developer
Ricochet Developer

The new testing procedures seem to be working very well. None of the rounds that went through testing have been found to have a single problem after they were released. Plenty of them had problems that the testers had to suffer trough. But the causal players who wait until sets are “released to the public” haven’t reported a single problem with any of the released round sets.

Great job testers. Keep up the good work.

Remember, anyone can help test pre-release round sets. However, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you really are volunteering to help. If you are just trying to get new levels sooner it isn’t really a great way to do it. You end up playing broken levels. It is easier to wait for the perfected sets to be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:13 pm 
This seems to be working very well. I haven't seen any comments about rounds not working since we started the testing before release.

Good job, James!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:34 pm 
Ricochet Developer
Ricochet Developer

Some of you may not be away of the special “usergroup” for volunteers who test the user made level before they are made public. Anyone is free to join this group and help test the new roundsets. For more than 6 months we have had basically the same group of testers working very hard. New testers are always welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:59 pm 

So thats were i can be a tester (well actoualy i alreayd knew but i thought just joining it wouldnt be allowed and i tohught id have to ask or something 1st wlel techniqly o just forget it)

Cool, ive always wanted to be a tester, i just like finding out whats good and whats bad about a round and discussing it. So does that mean i can simply click on teh usergroups and wait to be submitted?

cool, like i said, ive always wanted to be a tester to see whats good adn whast bad about a round and discussing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:39 pm 
Ricochet Developer
Ricochet Developer

Anyone can join. You don’t need an invitation or special permission. You have to join yourself. But your membership in the group will no be activated until it is approved by a moderator. Like I said before, all join requests are approved. Everyone is welcome. This approval step is required by the forum management software.

So fallow the direction above. Add yourself to the group and wait for a moderator to approve your request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:01 am 
bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:12 am 
Ricochet Developer
Ricochet Developer

As the posts above say, anyone can join the testing group at any time. We are currently looking for a few more testers who would like to help out. Some of our testers have been testing levels for almost two years. After thousands of levels tested, they are ready for some new testers to step up and help take some of the work load.

We still have a dedicated crew of experienced testers who will continue to test and will help teach test testers what to do.

Anyone who would like to help out should fallow the steps mentioned at the top of this topic to add yourself to the testers user group. If you have any trouble MsHollyBelle can probably help you out. She is the moderator of the testing group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:23 am 
James has stated it very well. Our group of testers is great ! We wish to keep them all. But they are overworked. Overworked testers become tired and burnt out. Thus, anyone who is interested in testing incoming new roundsets please come on and join. The testers are a great wonderful group.

Thank You, Ms Holly Belle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:21 pm 

i would like to be a demo tester rounds 1 to 43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:28 pm 
Huh ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:40 pm 

MsHollyBelle wrote:
Huh ???

im a recharged demo player